Wednesday, April 29, 2009

SPACEd

This is rather belated, seeing as how it's now 10 days after the fact, but I'm finally getting around to writing about my trip to SPACE (not to be confused with space). Unfortunately, my time management skills aren't the best and I had a family gathering to attend that day, so my time at SPACE was cut short. Like Tim O'Shea discovered at FLUKE, 45 minutes is not enough time at a small press convention.

Luckily, the first person I ran into was one of the people I was really looking forward to meeting, Daniel J. Olson, publisher of Super Fantastica Comix and a Candy or Medicine contributor. Daniel and his friend Ryan drove 12 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Columbus for the weekend. I was glad to meet them and pick up their comics, including Daniel and AJ Niehaus' award-winning Super Maxi-Pad Girl.

Candy or Medicine contributor, and mini-comic mastermind, Matt Feazell, is a SPACE staple and he traded me some of his great Cynicalman comics.

I also ran into Dan W. Taylor and Jim Main, who both loaded me up with some of their comics. Jim even reviewed Candy or Medicine Vol. 6 in a new small press publication (the name escapes me at the moment). Thanks, Jim. Dan had the original artwork to the piece he did for Candy or Medicine Vol. 3 on display, which was cool to see.

In the short time I was there, I managed to walk up and down three of the five aisles trading comics with everyone I could. It was nice meeting new people, handing out some books and discovering some new comics. I had to abruptly leave, which was unfortunate because I did not get to talk to Mike Maydak, who I know from college, Steven Myers, Allen Freeman, Bob Corby and anyone else in the final two rows. Next year, I'll make sure to schedule at least two hours for the event.


As seen in the photo, in the 45 or so minutes I was there, I did manage to purchase/trade for a ton of comics, and I've been so busy the past week, I think I've only read one or two. I'll try to review or mention as many as I can at a later date.

No comments: