Friday, June 25, 2010

Cincinnati Comic Expo


I mailed in my registration for the Cincinnati Comic Expo today. It will be held September 18 at Xavier University's Cintas Center. I'll have an 8 foot table, half of which will be stocked with Candy or Medicine and related mini-comics, the other half of which will be stocked with back issue comics and action figures (mostly GI JOE, Simpsons and Transformers). I'm hoping to get rid of a bunch of old comics and action figures that have been collecting dust for a while. There's no real sense in keeping them around. In high school and college, I was going for quantity, now I aim for quality. There are a few select comic series and action figure lines I collect and I'd like to continue pursuing those, and I also need to whittle down my collection and make some cold hard cash.


By the time of this show, there will be at least one, if not two, new issues of Candy or Medicine. There will also hopefully be another top secret mini-comic collaboration between myself and Ray N. It's going to be 16 half-sized pages for two bucks. More to come on that.

In terms of the show itself, I'm really glad to see a show in Cincinnati and hope this one lasts. In roughly 17 years, I've been to only a handful of shows in the area: one in Sharonville when I was about ten, two or three at Drawbridge in Ft. Mitchell, KY (one of which I had a table when I was 15) and last year's Cincinnati Comic and Anime Con, which was actually held in Covington, KY. I enjoyed the ones when I was younger, mainly because I had never been to a show before, but they didn't have any guests. Last year's show wasn't as good as I'd expected, but I did pick up some good comics and there were some artists.

From what I've gathered so far, the guys behind the Cincinnati Comic Expo are putting a lot of effort into it and although I don't expect a lot from an inaugural show, I think it's going to turn out pretty good. Hopefully they can build on that momentum year after year. There's a lot of talented artists in the area (Carol Tyler, David Mack, David Michael Beck, Joe Kuth, Mike Maydak, Justin Green and Bruce Chrislip to name a few), so hopefully they will be well represented either this year or in coming years.

No comments: